Thursday, December 4, 2008

Finally! A practical use for my freakishly encyclopedic knowledge of the Simpsons...

Today was perhaps the proudest moment in my career as a Simpsons nerd. I was back on Dordt's campus, and spent the afternoon typing up my final education portfolio in the Eckhart lounge.

At about 4:00, a group of theology students sat down nearby and started to discuss a project they were working on. My ears perked up when I heard them mention the Simpsons. I quickly gathered that their presentation was going to be about the impact of the Simpsons on modern religion.

One girl lamented to the rest of the group, "I know there's an episode where Ned tries to baptize the Simpson kids, but I have no idea what season that is from, or what the episode is called. Seriously, I'm going to have to spend the whole evening in the library watching through the Simpsons DVDs trying to find that clip." At this point, I was powerless to resist.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear your predicament...", I said, walking over to their table. "...But I just so happen to be the biggest Simpsons nerd at Dordt. Perhaps the world." I paused and looked off into space for effect.
"The episode you are looking for is 'Home-Sweet-Home-Diddly-Dum-Doodily' and it is from Disk One of the 7th season."
Their jaws all dropped (out of admiration, I'd assume) and the girl thanked me, trying to stifle laughter (of joy, I'm sure).

"All in a day's work, neighborino," I said with a hearty laugh and a cheesy grin. "Up and at them!" And with that, I flew, arm outstretched, straight through the lounge window and into the twilight sky, where I was promptly sucked into a jet engine and chopped into tiny pieces. (Actually, I got as far as outstretching my arm toward the window before I realized the theology group was still watching me, and I got all self-conscious, packed up my computer and left the building)

It truly is a wonder that I don't have a girlfriend

1 comment:

grammie said...

I just happened to bump into your blog as I was rambling through the haflinger sites. Your posting made an old (using that term lightly) lady smile. Your unique writing style and amusing thoughts make for interesting reading. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.